Saint-Jean-de-Côle

Images en cours de chargement
The village of Saint-Jean-de-Côle|Photo Philippe DufourThe castle of the Marthonye|Photo PatrickThe Hall and the Church of Saint Jean-Baptiste|Photo PatrickThe old Priory|Photo Père IgorThe medieval bridge and the old Priory.|Photo Père IgorSaint-Jean-de-Côle floralies|Photo Père Igor

More labeled "beautiful Village of France.

The history of Saint-Jean-de-Côle is linked to that of the castle of the Marthonie of 12th and 15th century which overlooks the pretty place Saint-Jean and at that of the Priory including the former romano-Byzantine style church presents an original plan. Labeled "Plus Beaux Villages de France» Saint-Jean-de-Côle has retained its Priory with its cloister from the 12th century, the old bridge of the 12th century and the half-timbered with their round rollers.

Brief summary of history

Protected by the Château de la Marthonie built at the end of the 11th century, the Priory of Saint-Jean-de-Côle radiates throughout the region and possessions extend to Limoges and Périgueux, while a prosperous village is born and develops around the Priory. But the vagaries of the hundred years war cause the conquest of the village by the English which in 1394 burned the Castle and the Priory. Strengthening the village to protect themselves from the attacks, the French settled until 1404.

In 1436, Pope Eugene IV promotes the reconstruction of the Priory, but a century later, the passage of many troops, during the wars of Religion, again devastated the village and the protestants dispersed religious goods. The French Revolution, the canons disappear. The buildings are sold and the books and manuscripts are burned.

The Château de la Marthonie

The 12th century Marthonie Castle dominates majestically Saint Jean square, with its towers crowned machicolation and niches and its facades pierced with mullioned windows. In the 17th century, the old castle was enlarged at right angles with a covered lower wing of a Mansard roof. The remaining space between the Eastern facade and perpendicular wing was garnished with a monumental staircase "told straight ramps".

The romano-Byzantine Saint Jean-Baptiste Church

The romano-Byzantine Saint-Jean-Baptiste Church dates from the 12th century. The construction of the building, perfectly oriented, has an unusual, unique plan in Périgord and perhaps even in France. The Church seems to organize in a semicircle around the apse, as the nave consists of a single span square, surmounted by a dome originally.

The floralies

Each year in early may, during a whole weekend, unfold the floralies of Saint-Jean-de-Côle. An opportunity to enjoy the village in a different framework, colourful.

Useful information :

Address :
24800 Saint-Jean-de-Côle

Good to know :
Syndicate of Initiative of Saint-Jean-de-Cole Rue du Chateau, Saint-Jean-de-Côle 24800, Tel. + 33 (0) 5 53 62 14 15

Free of charge. Guided tour.

Where to stay:

All accommodation

facebook
twitter
googleplus
linkedin