Ars-sur-Formans

Images en cours de chargement
The Basilica of Ars-sur-Formans|Photo StructuraeThe Basilica of Ars-sur-Formans|Photo Marc BouchevreauArs with its Basilica|Paul C. MauriceThe hunting of the Curé of Ars|The House of the Curé of Ars|Photo FiloerThe wax museum|

The Patron of all priests of the universe

Jean-Marie Vianney spent 41 years of his life (1818-1859) as parish priest of the village of Ars-sur-Formans. He led an ascetic life and his reputation as confessor and spiritual guide has attracted Ars many pilgrims. He was canonized in 1925 and proclaimed "Patron of all the pastors of the universe" in 1929. Pope Jean Paul II visited Ars-sur-Formans in 1986.

Brief summary of history

The name of Ars is evoked very early, as early as the year 969. In 1226, Jean of Ars sells his land to the monastery of the Île Barbe, Villars however retains sovereignty. The village, burned by the troops of venom towards 1409, must in the following century the consequences of the wars of Religion. The parish of Ars belongs to the Principality of Dombes and the Châtellenie of Trévoux before be attached in 1762 to the Kingdom of France.

The Curé of Ars

Jean-Marie Vianney was born on May 8, 1786 in Dardilly in a family of farmers. Ordained a priest in 1815, he was sent to Ars in 1818. The reputation of extreme austerity of the parish priest and the miracles attributed to him attracted towards the village of Ars a growing number of people wanting to confess to him. This movement, called the pilgrimage of Ars, grows mainly of 1830 a1835 and will continue until the death of the parish priest. Canonized in 1925 by Pope Pius XI, he will be proclaimed in 1929 "patron of all priests of the universe".

The Basilica of Ars

The Basilica of Ars was built from 1862 on the basis of the old church dating from the 12th century. It is designed by the architect Pierre Bossan. The Basilica houses the relics of the Holy curé of Ars. His body is exposed in a hunt in the eyes of all who come to pray to him. The Basilica of Ars is tourist place of the Ain Department the most visited, with over 500'000 visitors per year. A semi-subterranean Church was built in 1959-1961 to allow large gatherings.

The historial of the Curé of Ars

The museum traces the existence of Jean-Marie Vianney from 1789 to 1859. It presents 35 characters in wax and life-size, conducted by Alfred Grévin the founder of the famous Wax Museum in Paris. Scenes in settings of time relive the life of the Curé of Ars, vocation, his youth and his Ministry.
Historial of the Holy curé of Ars - Rue Jean Marie Vianney - Tel. 33 (0) 4 74 00 70 22.

Useful information :

Address :
01480 Ars-sur-Formans

Good to know :
Office tourism Ars door West Dombes 267 Rue Jean Marie Vianney, 01480 Ars-sur-Formans Tel. + 33 (0) 9 60 52 57 26

Free of charge. Guided tour.

Where to stay:

All accommodation

facebook
twitter
googleplus
linkedin