Saint-Malo

Images en cours de chargement
The historic city of Saint-Malo|Photo François LevaletThe ramparts of Saint-Malo|The Château de Saint-Malo|Photo Céréales KillerThe large Aquarium of Saint-Malo|The fort National|The Museum of history of the city and the country Malouin|

Saint-Malo, a former privateer

Ancient city of the Corsair Surcouf and Jacques Cartier Saint-Malo browser is a famous seaside resort. The city of Saint-Malo is remarkably rebuilt identically after its destruction to 80% during the second world war in August 1944. It is a very active port, one can admire the ramparts, the Castle built by the Dukes of Brittany and the Grand Aquarium of Saint-Malo.

Every four years, Saint-Malo welcomes the start of the route du Rhum. The famous transatlantic sailing single-handed race which connects St Malo to Pointe-à-Pitre in Guadeloupe.

Brief summary of history

Saint-Malo owes its name to the Welsh monk Mac Low, to the 6th century, became Bishop of Alet, the ancient cradle of the Saint-Malo town founded in the middle of the 12th century on a rocky islet. Thanks to its browsers and its merchants who leave for India, China, Africa, the Americas; the prosperity of the city is prodigious in the 17TH and 18th centuries. Born in Saint-Malo, Jacques Cartier discovers and explores the Canada.

The town once called 'L'Isle St-Malo' tightened its premises in partially burned during a fire in 1661. In the following years, Vauban and Garangeau the transformed again enlarging. Privateers, Duguay-Trouin captured Rio de Janeiro in 1711 and the famous Surcouf gives considerable prestige in Saint-Malo.

The fighting in 1944 during World War II devastated the port and destroy the city at nearly 80%. Reconstruction has restored its legendary silhouette in Saint-Malo: City historical and maritime pomp. The city acquires the necessary equipment to one of the highest places of tourism of Brittany and the first port on its North side.

The historic city of Saint-Malo

The long walls of 1754 metres fully surround the city. One enters inside the city close by eight doors and three posterns. Unlike the Interior of the city destroyed at 80%, the walls have not suffered bombing allies in 1944. The primitive enclosure was constructed in the 12th century. Top platform of the Tower Bidouane we discover one of the most beautiful views of the ramparts,

The great gate is composed of two towers and a platform for shooting with machicolations to quadruple jump which are characteristic of the second half of the 15th century.

The bastion Saint-Louis with the Fort du Naye located opposite defended access to the harbour basin. The bastion Saint-Philippe date from 1714, it has the shape of an irregular triangle. The bastion of Holland, built in 1674, was built to protect the city from an attack by Dutch fleets.

In the city wood stained glass windows painted half-timbered houses have almost all disappeared, but the older stone buildings are still numerous enough to bear witness to what was the wealth of Saint-Malo (the Asfeld Hotel).

The fort National

The rock of the Islet on which is based the Fort National was used in the middle ages of landmark for boats. In 1689 Louis XIV decided to rock a defensive bastion against English attacks. Vauban drew the plans of the Forum. The view of the ramparts is exceptional: the estuary of the Rance to the Chausey Islands. The impressive tour of the Dungeon. The fort is open from June to end of September. Access at low tide.

Fort National - 35400 Saint-Malo - Tel. + 33 (0) 6 72 46 66 26.

The Museum of history

The Château de Saint-Malo hosts the Town Hall Museum of history of the city and the country Malouin. It was built by the Dukes of Brittany and built and modernised by Siméon Garangeau, a disciple of Vauban.

The Museum of history of the city and the country Malouin is devoted to the history of Saint-Malo and its great men. Documents, ship models, paintings and arms recall the maritime past of the city. In the Tower General evocation of the economy, the way of life and significant events of Saint-Malo and its surroundings.

Museum of history of the city - Esplanade Felicite Lamennais, 35400 Saint-Malo - Tel. + 33 (0) 2 99 40 71 57.

The large Aquarium of Saint-Malo

Grand Aquarium de Saint Malo is part of the leading aquariums in France. In 46 basins can observe 11'000 animals of the marine world of 600 different species.

Touch basin to pet fish from the coast of Brittany. The sharks ring offers a panorama of 360 ° on sharks. The sunken vessel reconstitutes a Galleon wreck. The tropical collection with its clown fish and fish surgeons. The small submarine Nautibus to observe tropical fish and a city swallowed up before diving into the abyss.

Great aquarium Saint-Malo - Avenue du Général-Patton, 35400 St-Malo - Tel. + 33 (2) 99 21 19 00.

Useful information :

Address :
35400 Saint-Malo

Good to know :
Office de Tourisme de Saint-Malo Esplanade Saint - Vincent, 35400 Saint-Malo Tel. + 33 0 825 13 52 00

Free of charge.

Where to stay:

All accommodation

facebook
twitter
googleplus
linkedin