Viviers

Images en cours de chargement
 The Cathedral and the village|Photo Michael JoffreHome of the Knights|Photo Alain MossotThe Saint-Vincent cathedral|The Roman bridge|Photo Christian RoustanThe former episcopal Palace|Photo Jacqueline Poggi Roqueplane hotel|Photo Alain Mossot

The historic capital of the Vivarais

The charm of Viviers, capital historic du Vivarais lies in its location in the doors of the Ardeche. Ancient Gallo-Roman and cited City Episcopal 15 centuries, the medieval watch proudly over the parade of the Rhone, from the top of the piton rock enthroned its sumptuous Cathedral.

Brief summary of history

Viviers is attached to the Kingdom of France in 1307. In the 15th and 16th centuries, power is first in the hands of the merchants. The city is experiencing a major expansion and consolidates its walls to protect themselves from the attacks of the hundred years war.

In the middle of the 18th century, the Bishop François Renaud de Villeneuve had built the episcopal Palace, today the Town Hall. Other mansions are built or embellished at the same time: hotels Roqueplane, Tourville, Beaulieu.

The 19th century is a period of great industrial innovation, with the creation of the Lafarge (lime and cement) factory and full color cement tile (establishments Larmande).

See to Viviers

The lower city
In the lower city, we discover architectural treasures like the Tower of the clock built in the 17th century. The façade of the House of Knights is exceptionally rich. It is a veneer on a medieval house with several body building, was commissioned by an ambitious trader in 1546. Place de la République where three great houses: the House Faugergues, House Montargues and Lestrade House with beautiful windows.

The upper town
The upper town is protected by its wall. It brings together the Cathedral and several outbuildings of the bishopric. It crosses the Lateran door back in the High Street, bordered by two mansions and several beautiful houses. The Tourville hotel has a monumental door.

The Saint-Vincent cathedral

The Saint-Vincent cathedral is the smallest cathedral in France, it was consecrated in 1119. Inside one can admire a chorus of flamboyant Gothic style, extraordinary tapestries from the 18th goblins and that an altar in marble. The Cathedral is accompanied by the Saint-Michel tower which overlooks the city.

The Roman bridge

The bridge was on the Roman road which linked Viviers at Alba-la-Romaine. It was borrowed by the muleteers with their loads of salt, wine and other foodstuffs supplying the mountain. Very well preserved, it is dated to the 2nd or 3rd century and crosses the small river of the Escoutay.

The Cité ouvrière Lafarge

The Lafarge city once was a city in the city. The first homes were built in 1880 to house workers. Religious schools, shops, a hospital and a church surrounded housing. During the 1950s, all is is gradually emptied of its occupants. It remains today a few tenants. The former Cité ouvrière has narrowly escaped demolition. Guided tours are organized.
International Construction and Heritage Centre - Rue Lafarge, 07220 Viviers - Tel. 33 (0) 4 75 52 62 45.

Useful information :

Address :
07220 Viviers

Good to know :
Office of tourism of Viviers 2 Avenue Mendes, 07220 Viviers Tel. 33 (0) 4 75 49 86 61

Free of charge.

Where to stay:

All accommodation

facebook
twitter
googleplus
linkedin