Abbaye Notre-Dame-des-Dombes

Images en cours de chargement
Abbaye Notre-Dame-des-Dombes |Photo Rémi Deguillaume Abbaye Notre-Dame-des-Dombes |Photo Chloé BoyardInternships of iconography||The Tower of le Plantay|The Church of le Plantay|Jean-Pierre Galichon

The Notre-Dame-des-Dombes Abbey

The Notre-Dame-des-Dombes Abbey's is built of original Cistercian red bricks. Founded in 1863, it was designed by Pierre Bossan, the architect of Notre-Dame de Fourvière in Lyon and the Basilica of Ars.

Brief summary of history

The Aiguebelle Abbey detaches 44 Trappist monks to clear the region of the Dombes and build this new monastery with 160 hectares of land, including a farm and herd.

The Cisterian monks of Notre-Dame - des - Dombes Abbey, worked to drying up the marshy ponds of the Dombes.

The monks led a contemplative community and fraternal life. Since 2001 the Cistercian monks have entrusted the Abbey to the community of Chemin Neuf, which continues this tradition of work and prayer.

Visit

Free guided tour of the Abbey. Monastic products are on sale in the small shop including the famous "Musculine Guichon" an energy product made of red meat and seafood.

The store opening: 10 am to 11:45 am (Sunday 11:15 am) and from 2:30 pm to 6 pm

The Tower of le Plantay

Le Plantay (the Plantay pond) tower is the remnant of a feudal castle that was burned in 1460 by the troops of the Duke of Bourbon, which ravaged largely the Dombes. The massive and rounded tower is 19 metres high. A path with machicolation crowned the building. Right beside is a private brick house, that cannot be visited.

Useful information :

Address :
01330  Le Plantay
Tel :
+ 33 (0) 4 74 98 14 40

Prices :
Free admission.

Opening hours :
Daily (except Tuesday)
between 10: 00 am and 12: 00 pm
and between 2:30 pm and 6 pm.

Free of charge.

Where to stay:

All accommodation

facebook
twitter
googleplus
linkedin