Images en cours de chargement
The village of Grignan|Photo OT Pays de GrignanThe Château de Grignan|The House of Madame de Sévigné|Photo  Nicole Faucon-PelletThe St. Louis Street|Photo Alain MossotThe Collegiate Church of Saint-Sauveur|The workshop-Museum of silk|

Grignan and the marquise de Sévigné

The medieval village of Grignan, located in the heart of the Drôme provençale, is surrounded by Lavender fields. It has preserved its charm and authenticity in the heart of a terroir of truffle, vines, and lavender. Grignan was made famous by the marquise de Sévigné which rests in the Collegiate Church of Saint-Sauveur.

Brief summary of history

The castral village of Grignan develops in the 13th and 14th centuries with the growing of the powerful family of the Adhémar de Monteil role. The first expansion of the agglomeration will occur in the middle of the 16th century with the construction of the Collegiate Church of Saint-Sauveur (1535-1542) and major works of beautification of the Castle (1543-1557) who transformed the old medieval fortress into a sumptuous Renaissance palace.

The village and its castle are other hours of glory in the 17th century with François de Castellane Adhémar, count of Grignan and Governor of Provence. His marriage to Françoise-Marguerite de Sévigné in 1669, will be at the origin of the famous epistolary correspondence between the marquise de Sévigné and his daughter, the Countess of Grignan. In the eighteenth century, the memory of Madame de Sévigné and his nascent literary glory, save the castle of Grignan from ruin and oblivion.

The Château de Grignan

The castle of Grignan occupies an exceptional location in the heart of the Drôme provençale. From its terrace, you can see the Ventoux, the pre-Alps, the Alpilles and the Cévennes. Madame de Sévigné, the famous letter writer (1626-1696) stayed several times at Grignan. In his correspondence with his daughter Françoise de Grignan, she evokes the brilliance of this Provençal Court.

The Castle, partially dismantled during the French Revolution, was restored at the beginning of the 20th century. Discover the façade Renaissance du Midi and the Court of the wells including the terrace is framed by a Gothic Gallery and logis Renaissance bodies. Visit the apartment of Madame de Sévigné and the great endowed with a remarkable furniture gallery, a superb Secretary Italian and the Aubusson tapestries.

Château de Grignan - Rue du Château, 26230 Grignan - Tel. 33 (0) 4 75 91 83 50.

The Collegiate Church of Saint-Sauveur

The Collegiate Church of Saint-Sauveur de Grignan was built between 1535 and 1542, at the initiative of baron Louis Adhémar. Its spectacular location on the side of the rock that bears the Castle, helps to accentuate the impression of grandeur and magnificence of the site, reinforced by the presence of the powerful square towers façade and the high foothills.

Inside, one can admire the high altar surmounted by an altarpiece, the woodwork of the choir, and the baptismal font in the 17TH century. The 17th-century organ is attributed to Charles le Royer, a Flemish factor of Namur. A plaque located in the chorus recalls the memory of Madame de Sévigné, who was buried in the collegiate church in 1696.

The miniature village

The miniature village presents 70 houses scale 1/6 with more than 1'000 subject animals and characters. The life of a provencal village at the beginning of the last century is reconstituted. Also a farandole Provence at the foot of Daudet's Mill, a game of Bocce on the village square and many other scenes to discover.

Provencal village Miniature - La Tuilière Route Valréas - 26230 Grignan - Tel. 33 (0) 4 75 46 91 68.

The workshop-Museum of silk

The silk workshop-Museum is located in the heart of the medieval village of Taulignan (7.5 km. of Grignan), a high place of the silky industry throughout the 19th century. He reveals the many activities related to the work of the silk and traces the social context in which were women who worked in the workshops, notably through factories-convents.

Workshop-Museum of silk - Place du 11 novembre, 26770 Taulignan - Tel. 33 (0) 4 75 53 12 96.

Useful information :

Address :
26230 Grignan

Good to know :
Office tourism Grignan Place game of balloon, 26230 Grignan Tel. 33 (0) 4 75 46 56 75

Free of charge.

Where to stay:

All accommodation