Monpazier

Images en cours de chargement
The bastide of Monpazier|The Notre-Dame Street door|Photo Jaume CP BCNThe place of angles|The framing of chestnut Hall|Photo Alain MossotThe porte Saint-Jacques Street|Photo Alain MossotThe Town Hall of Monpazier|Photo Alain Mossot

More labeled "beautiful Village of France.

Labeled "Most beautiful Village of France", la bastide of Monpazier has preserved almost intact its appearance and its original dimensions. Eight centuries after its founding, it is probably the best preserved of Périgord bastide. This is an authentic jewel of medieval architecture. Many artists and craftsmen settled in Monpazier.

Brief summary of history

The bastide of Monpazier was founded in 1284, on behalf of the King Edward Ier d'Angleterre, by his senechal Jean de Grailly. It was built on a rectangular plan around a central square, square angles, surrounded by houses built between the 13th and the 13th century.

During the hundred years war, Monpazier passed and repassa domination of the Capetian dynasty to that of the Plantagenets. It was under the reign of Charles V, King of France from 1366 to 1380, the bastide became a French possession.

The bastide was the scene of many conflicts, uprisings and epidemics: war of hundred years, reform and counter-reform, revolt of the crisp, plague, typhoid. Despite these vicissitudes, the bastide of Monpazier has preserved its original character and its exceptional architecture. Considered the new town perfect orthogonal drawing, Monpazier influenced the style of the greatest architects as Viollet-le-Duc and le Corbusier.

Monpazier is referred to as model bastide

Monpazier is unanimously called model bastide with its plan in a checkerboard pattern, praised by Viollet-le-duc and Le Corbusier for the quality of its orthogonal plan inherited from the middle ages. The bastide, remain the overall plan and three of the six fortified gates.

The place of the angles was a place of Exchange, commerce and justice. It has houses built between the middle ages and the 17th century and his old halle chestnut frame. The Saint-Dominique Church was built from the 13th to the 16th century.

The Bastideum

Bastideum (Center of Interpretation of Architecture and heritage of Monpazier) presents the two-step. A visit by the former convent of Récollets where of archival materials, interviews, 3D reconstructions and a virtual fly-over of the bastide give the keys to understanding of Monpazier. Then, the visitor can reach the streets of Monpazier with their smartphone or digital Tablet for a discovery "à la carte" remarkable buildings.

Bastideum - 8 rue Galmot, 24540 Monpazier - Tel. + 33 5 53 57 12 12.

Useful information :

Address :
24540 Monpazier

Good to know :
Office of tourism of Monpazier Place brackets, 24540 Monpazier Tel. + 33 (0) 5.53.22.68.59

Free of charge. Guided tour.

Where to stay:

All accommodation

facebook
twitter
googleplus
linkedin